From the Health Professionals Council website (HPC)

An orthoptist specialises in diagnosing and treating visual problems involving eye movement and alignment

Most UK eye departments include an orthoptics department. They mainly deal with squint in children but also with adults with cranial nerve palsy’s or other conditions affecting eye movement and alignment.

A typical orthoptic assessment of a child with squint would include:

  • History
  • Visual Acuity (?Amblyopia)
  • Cover Test (?latent or manifest squint)
  • Extraocular Motility (Concomitant or Incomitant squint)
  • Prism Test (to measure the squint)
  • Stereopsis and/or Binocular Single Vision, BSV

The child would then have dilated fundus check and refraction, for which they would see an ophthalmologist and optometrist (unless the ophthalmologist does his/her own refraction).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *